- 100gm Butter
- 100gm Raw Sugar
- 100gm Rapadura Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 150gm mashed sweet potato
- 150gm sourdough sweet starter
- 1 egg yolk
- 175gm Unbleached Baker’s Flour
- 65gm Flaxseed meal (ground linseed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50gm chopped walnuts
- Black Sesame Seeds, for garnish
Cream butter, sugars, maple syrup and spices in a mixing bowl.
Add mashed potato, egg yolk and sourdough starter. Mix delicately until fully incorporated.
In a separate bowl, put all dry ingredients, apart from walnuts. Combine and fold in wet ingredients until all are incorporated. Don’t overwork the batter or overmix it.
Spoon the batter on a baking tray. We usually do very large cookies, so they stay soft and are easy to share. About 10-23 pieces. You can also do smaller ones and cook for less time.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20min at 200/230 celcius. They should become golden but remain soft once cooked. They get harder as they cool down on a cooling rack.
The texture is chewy and soft with a light caramelisation on the outside. Taste like gingerbread! For a less spiced version, reduce the amount of cloves and ginger.
Created By Chef Anne-lyse and Chef Daniele