- 1 cup Organic White Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cup organic stock (concentrate veg or chicken, or chicken stock)
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 handful of green beans (organic handcut variety)
- 1 handful brussel sprouts
- 1/4 savoy cabbage
- 1/2 preserved lemon rind / zest from 1/2 lemon
- Rinse rice well under cold water.
- Heat up 1 or 2 tablespooons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespooon of butter. Add onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add rice, and finely chopped veggies. Stir fry for a few minutes stirring occasionally and until veggies start to colour.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper/thyme and add lemon zest or preserved lemon rind, finely chopped.
- Add warmed up broth, cover and reduce to low heat.
- Do not lift up the lid, let simmer until liquid is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Check rice is 95% cooked. Remove from heat, let rest for another 15 minutes with lid on. Add a little olive oil and 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Enjoy on its own or as a side dish.
Note: Anne-lise sometimes adds 1/4 cup of milk to the total quantities of broth (gives it a bit of creaminess).
Adjust oil and butter levels to richness of your broth and to your liking. Anne-lise uses high smoke point oil at the beginning. Finishing with olive oil for taste, after cooking process.
To make your own preserved lemons, try this …https://www.daringgourmet.com/how-to-make-preserved-lemons-moroccan-middle-eastern-cooking/
All vegetables available from Organic Fruit & Vegetable boxes
Recipe by Chef Anne-lise